1 Drill Practices
- Pass & Screen Away
- Cutting & timing the pass
- Using the screen on a cut to the basket
- Lay-up, Rebound and outlet pass
- Passes should be caught as players end their cut with a two-footed quick stop.
- Players should face the basket and be a shot threat (Shot fakes can be added for the 3 and 4 spots)
- The Ball should not touch the floor during this drill (push-up penalties for anyone who dribbles the ball) Exception 4 may use a bounce pass, Coach decides. (I dislike the bounce pass inside the key)
Players set up as shown.
1 passes to 3, 3 makes a cut to catch the ball in the high post area.
After passing 1 sets a screen.
3 quickly takes the ball overhead and passes to 4 on the weak side, 4 makes a cut to receive the ball.
On the 3 to 4 pass 2 is moving towards the screen set by 1 (setting up his defensive man).
3 slides away from his pass towards the cone at free throw line extended.
2 cuts hard off the screen (practice either side) to the basket. Important point: 2's cut must be timed so that 4 has a chance to catch the ball and face the basket (in a game situation 4 may have a 1 on 1 or shot opportunity)
4 passes to 2 for the lay-up and follows to rebound the ball.
3 runs around the cone and finishes where 4 was.
The screener rolls to the basket but backs out as the pass goes to 2.
The 4 to 2 pass is timed so that no dribble is required and 2 shoots the lay-up.
After shooting 2 sprints to the top of the key to become the new high post.
4 follows his pass to rebound the ball
1 goes to the cutter position where 2 started.
2 goes to the high post area where 3 started.
4 Rebounds the ball and makes an outlet pass to 5 who has stepped onto court. And the drill begins again.
1 has gone to the cutter position where 2 started.
2 has moved to the high post area where 3 started.
3 has moved around the cone to 4's starting point.
After making the outlet pass 4 joins the end of the line out of court.
1) 4 takes a jump shot, 2 Rebounds and makes the outlet pass. (4 joins line out of court and 2 still goes to high post)
2) 4 passes to 1 rolling to the basket, 1 shoots. (1 goes to cutter, 2 to high post, 4 rebounds and makes the outlet pass before joining line out of court)
3) 4 passes to 1 rolling to the basket, 1 passes the ball back out to 3 who shoots the 3 point shot (1 goes to cutter, 2 to high post, 4 rebounds and makes the outlet pass before joining line out of court, 3 stays in position)
4) Place defenders on 2 and 4 spot, allow 4 choice of shot, drive or feed pass to 1 or 2, Coach decides intensity of defense.
Suggestion: X2 allows himself to be screened and X4 plays hard defense. X2 can give help after being blocked out by screener on the roll to the basket.